On April 20th, 2018, the world one of the biggest names in edm. Personally, I felt like I lost someone whose sound would forever be imprinted on my heart. Avicii was one of those artists that I could hear a brand new song and know it was his work without anyone telling me the artist. In truth, I thought I’d have years and years of future music of his to listen to, but that sadly wasn’t in the cards.
This superstar of an artist gave me songs that lit up my heart and gave me hope. Songs that celebrated life and living out ones greatest dreams and it inspired me to dance in the moment again and again. In my heart Avicii’s light will never die. People like Avicii…people who hide their demons away and give so much of their light for all the world to enjoy are very special people.
I don’t want to taint this post with the details of his death. I’m sure, a year later, the majority of you know what happened. No this post is a celebration. Avicii’s music will continue to inspire joy and dance in my life for the rest of my life.
Losing this powerhouse of a musician, one of the first to be a part of what sparked my love of music in the first place was like losing a friend. Someone who was always with you raising you up. Someone that showed you to turn to the light when the dark felt like too much to handle. That’s who Avicii was and still is in my life.
These are some of my all time favorite Avicii songs:
- The Days/The Nights: both of these give me a deep feeling of hope for different reasons
- Hey Brother: a song that gives me a feeling of nostalgia
- Levels: a song that I will always dance to no matter what
- Waiting for love: a song I just love to sing along to
- Wake me up: another one of his supremely hopeful songs
- SOS- just an overall beautiful song
- Silhouettes- a song that talks about the brightness of the future and not letting the past ever hold you back. A song of how each and every moment is one that transforms you.
- Broken Arrows- Another very hopeful and uplifting song that brings a smile on my face
- Addicted to you- I love the story of this song. Falling in love once more and giving into it after lost love. I think there is something pretty brave about that.
- Lonely Together- I feel like this song about friends coming together when they are feeling a little lonely and just enjoying life together.
For this tribute I sung ‘The Nights’ to no music. Singing is my way of celebrating and letting go of emotion and I’ve sung along to avicii’s songs countless times. The audio isn’t perfect, it’s kinda muddled and soft, but this is something I’ve wanted to do since the time of his passing.
So here it is:
To Avicii, you moved the lives of millions. You shared stories of living life to the fullest and making all your dreams come true. You may have gone away into another life, but what you accomplished on this earth will always have a positive impact. Rest well my friend. You are a shining star gone way too soon.
Thank you all for reading! I hope you all enjoyed this post. I meant to have this up on the 20th, but I got the dates all mixed up and I realized I had it wrong. Avicii is a person that has a big place in my heart. Truly someone who has gone way too soon.